By Monique Cowper
The Daily Telegraph
Northern District Times
October 7, 2015
[Sydney, Australia] – While it hasn’t been a smooth ride, after years of dedication and perseverance dancer Thomas Gannon, 14, has been accepted into the prestigious Australian Ballet School.
He understood to be the only boy from Sydney to be offered a position.
“I’m very overwhelmed, and relieved,” Thomas said.
But it has been a long journey for the young dancer, who fell in love with ballet after tagging along to his sister’s classes at the North Shore Dance Academy as a toddler.
For the past few years he had been accepted into the Australian Ballet School training program, and last year he had hoped to finally make it there full time. When the offer came for 2015, Thomas and his family had to make the heartbreaking decision to refuse due to a serious back injury, according to his mum Lhan. “They’ve known him for a long time and we knew they would nurture him, but he wasn’t fully healed so we decided not to accept,’’ Ms Gannon said.
Amazingly, when the offer for 2016 entry arrived it came with a promotion to a higher level. “It’s fabulous to be offered level five, above what we expected,’’ she said. “This is his dream and he’s worked so hard to rehabilitate and get back to his best again.’’
Thomas and his mother will now move to Melbourne in the new year. He will study fulltime at the Australian Ballet School combining dance and regular classes.
Thomas said he couldn’t wait to be surrounded by like-minded people. “Being with people who love doing the same thing, having that connection, that will be great,’’ he said. “I’m so excited and really looking forward to it.’’
Copyright 2015 News Limited